Body recovered after building collapse in eastern Germany

Body recovered after building collapse in eastern Germany

Rescue workers have recovered the body of a 25-year-old Romanian tourist from the rubble of a collapsed apartment building in eastern Germany.

The search for two other missing people is continuing, with rescue workers concentrating on two areas of the rubble where dogs indicated possible victims, a police spokeswoman said on Thursday.

The multi-storey building in the city of Görlitz, near the Polish border in the eastern state of Saxony, collapsed on Monday evening for reasons that remain unclear.

Emergency crews found the woman buried under the rubble at around 10:30 pm (2030 GMT) on Wednesday, the spokeswoman said. Search dogs had helped locate her, but only her body could be recovered.

Since 4:30 am, rescue workers have been focusing on the two areas where the dogs responded, removing heavy debris such as wooden beams and floor sections and digging by hand.

Authorities are still searching for another Romanian tourist, aged 26, and a 48-year-old man with both Bulgarian and German citizenship. Police did not say how likely it was that they could still be found alive.

The spokeswoman said the chances were decreasing with every hour, but that the search would continue until both people had been found.

The building contained rental apartments and holiday accommodation, according to police. Initially, five people were reported missing after the collapse, but two holiday guests were later confirmed to have still been travelling to the site at the time of the incident.

The cause of the collapse has not yet been established, although Görlitz Mayor Octavian Ursu said it appeared to have been caused by a gas explosion.

Police said a gas leak was discovered a few hours after the collapse, complicating rescue efforts amid fears that gas was still escaping from the rubble.

Gas pipelines around the disaster site were fully emptied, reducing the risk of further explosions and making the rescue operation safer, a police spokeswoman said.

Source link